Sunday 21 August 2011

Five weeks + 1

Three weeks ago when I actually left hospital I was quite convinced that my calf muscles, (which were not huge anyway, Carla called me chicken legs) had completely disintegrated. I guess two weeks lying around in a bed can do that to legs. I had to drag myself upstairs when I got home as I just didn't have the muscles power available to manage it normally. Turns out though, I do still have calf muscles, and they are absolutely killing me. Either that or somebody has been punching me in the back of my legs during the night, I suppose it is unreasonable to potter about on unfit pins for the best part of three weeks then walk them off for three days! Still thinking I just may have calf muscles is comforting, as I'm really going to need them when I get around to riding again!

Starting riding is something I'm looking forward to, but like the driving is also a little (a lot) scary. After my first operation my centre of balance seemed to have moved, which altered my riding position, riding is a lot to do with centre of balance, so I'll probably have learn a whole new riding position again, which at my age takes a great deal of patience (something I'm not known for). The secret is it's back to Neils baby steps, don't do too much, don't expect too much, and when you are fit enough and riding regularly again, it won't feel like so much of a battle. I think to begin with we'll just walk around a bit, and I probably should have extra people there just in case. Mind you it will be a while before I even think about riding, driving to the field and skipping it out really should come well before that, plus grooming, now that is an all body exercise! I can start really gentle exercises at the 6 weeks mark, no sit ups or running, just doing old people exercises, simple and nice and slow (I do apologise if I offended any old people). 

Well I wonder what today will bring, I found Will still up at 5 o'clock this morning, so we decided to let him sleep until 11, then we are going to drag him out of his pit! I'll let Neil do that, sounds like something I shouldn't be doing, heavy lifting I think that would come under. It took a good chunk of yesterday to get Will back into the land of the living people after two days without us, it may take a good few days to undo his new nocturnal regime. Its what I like and dislike about the internet/xbox, it's great he has friends all over the world, trouble is he has friends all over the world, there is always somebody up!

I tried baking a Camembert yesterday, couldn't get the posh little bread (fusette) so we went with bread sticks, it was great fun to share between us and nearly worked, next time I'll cook it at a lower temp for longer so that it all melts, still it tasted great. They were buy 2 for £3 from Sainsburies so I can have another go again soon! Well I have a fun starter, now I need a posh main course and a pudding, oh and some friends, then I've got myself a dinner party! I know the cheese is just like a fondue without the fondue, but I like the simplicity and the sharing aspect of it. OK too many daytime cookery programmes are showing, still it was easy, just chuck it in the oven for 15 mins and hey presto! I like that sort of cooking, cuts down on the guest abandonment. Now I'm hungry, missing my English breakfast I've been having whilst away I should think, a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes just doesn't quite meet with the expectations!

I had a book come from Amazon, while we were away, "Battle Cry for Freedom", about the American Civil War, it's for one of the modules that I'm doing in September, 862 pages now that will take some reading, I really hope it has a happy ending, I'm guessing (knowing the outcome of the Civil War), that will depend who's side I'm on. It's funny I love my Kindle, couldn't live without it now, I certainly would have found it really hard in hospital, I think it's perfect, full to brimming with fiction, all blood and guts and gruesome murders (and Dick Francis), book after book, available at the touch of a button. However,  I like my history text books to be physically available on the shelf, to pick up and put down, or to have them arranged all around me when I'm writing an essay, having them on the kindle just wouldn't work. Aren't people odd! OK maybe just Maxine is, it makes me either quirky and adorable, or twisted and a pain in the neck, depending on whether or not you are married to me I suppose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment