Friday 21 October 2011

Thirteen weeks + 6

So we are coming to the end of what feels like a very long week, it's been draining but productive. Next week is half term, so while the kids are off school that will ease my daily routine, but I must remember to go to my lectures as Uni doesn't do half terms. That was a problem when I first started Uni, and I missed lectures then to stay home with the kids,  but now well, my kids barely need me at all (unless it's to drive them somewhere), so I just go to my lectures as normal. As long as I remember, you do tend to lose track of what day it is at half term, so maybe I'd better set a reminder on my phone just to be on the safe side.

We had Wills parents evening last night, well I did, it was too early for Neil to get there. I did take Will with me however, and he was stunned at how badly organised it was and how everyone ended up seeing people at all the wrong times. I've always been surprised that considering what a good school it is they make such a hash of organising the parents evening. For example my last appointment was supposed to be 6:40, but it ended up being at 7:40, and I was only seeing 5 different teachers, and certainly didn't talk to any of them over my allotted 5 mins. Don't get me wrong I don't know what the better way of running the evening should be, you just feel like there really should be a better way. I know one lady who had an appointment to see the maths teacher at 5:10 and eventually got to see him at 7:20, so you see what I mean. Any way the majority of teachers had nothing but praise for how Will was doing, and the relevant teachers of the subjects he wants to do at A level all said yes he should. So that's a big relief for me, and for him, he really lacks confidence in his own abilities, so I really hope that he's been given a bit of a boost by hearing what the teachers had to say about him. 

Now to my day, well I have to remember to go to the doctors for a blood test at 11:55, (aren't there a lot of times in my blog today) it's one of those count the cells to check the cancer hasn't come back kind of blood tests, which you try not to think about, but worry yourself sick over. Still I'm back at Summerhill this afternoon for the Year 10 double lesson, they really are a great bunch of kids, and are trying hard to understand the issues in Northern Ireland, that led to all the troubles in the 1960s. It's also giving me quite a taste of the pressure that Miss Wilson is under, in trying to make sure she gets it right, without giving them too much help, she let me read some of the instructions that the exam board gave her, and trust me, it's a minefield. Still I've a few tears before they let me loose on a GCSE class, well I'm guessing I have. I can't wait to get into a classroom and actually start teaching (I know I'm a bit mad). Oh I have Neil underfoot today as well, but in a good way, although he kicked me off the PC this morning which is why my blog is later than normal. He's trying to finish off the utility, it will be so brilliant when it's finished, I'm going to really enjoy having a sink in there, I may develop an OCD for hand washing just so I can use it loads (again I know mad). Will has an orthodontists appointment this afternoon that Neil will have to take him to, I told Will that Neil didn't know where it was, and he said if Neil could get him to the car park, he could find his way to the orthodontist, but he sounded very unsure, until I realised he thought his Dad didn't know how to get to Kidderminster. Seriously these kids have very little confidence in our abilities sometimes. 

Right I'm going to go now and find myself something to occupy me upstairs I think so I can avoid having to be Neils plumbers mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment