Tuesday 11 October 2011

Twelve weeks + 3

Well I had my first, and hopefully my last, MRI scan yesterday, I can't tell you the results as I'll have to wait until  my next consultants appointment for them, but I can tell you it wasn't a pleasant experience. I've had CT scans before and then you lie on a bed in a giant polo type thing while it takes pictures of your insides. In an MRI you are inside a giant tube, only it doesn't feel that giant while you are in there, I mean I'm not claustrophobic but I'm sure it's something I could develop if I put my mind to it. To be fair, it's not dark in there and it appears to be air conditioned so the atmosphere isn't unpleasant, and they do give you earphones down which they play music of your choice as a distraction from the strange noises the machine makes. That was the question that threw me, I mean I was expecting all the metal related questions, "have you ever had a metal splinter in your eye?", or "have you ever had metal plates inserted in your person?", but "what music do you like?" wasn't one I'd researched an answer for and I was completely stumped, albeit temporarily, I then blurted out Michael Buble (with an accent, no not an accent like French I mean over the "e", I don't know how to add one). So I had my MRI whilst listening to Michael Buble, occasionally interrupted by the technician asking me to hold my breath, sometimes in, sometimes out. Well I'm just glad that it's all over, I'm also glad that Neil came from work early to sit with me while I waited, as I was oddly really scared. Then he took me out to dinner, apparently the standard payment for someone who's had an MRI scan, so I won't totally complain.

Well my day today is going to be full and interesting, I've already written my shopping list, and put a load of washing into the machine so that's a good start (yes I remembered to turn it on). I have to go shopping this morning, so I can be back in time to go to Uni this afternoon (between 1 and 2 o'clock, vague I know), for a tutorial with one of my lecturers, this is for the History in the Community module, the one I'm volunteering at Summerhill for. They don't just leave you to it, they do make you check in occasionally with them to make sure you doing it the right way, well I guess that's why, I'll find out later. I've still got to pick an essay question and get some books out of the library, but that can all be done whilst I'm there. Then on my way home I will go and do Malarky, he'll be surprised to see me for a proper visit as usually Tuesday is a bit of a drive by, as I'm on my way to a lecture. Then when the boys get home we'll take Ned to the woods for a really good run, I think I'll mke them both come with me, as the fresh air will do them good. I'm actually missing my lecture this evening for Will, well he didn't ask me to but there is a 16+ evening for the parents of year 11s at Summerhill this evening, telling us about the opportunities for them once they've finished school. My Uni lectures are important, but some things are more important, and Wills future is one of them, and it matters to me that he knows that. Doing my degree has been an amazing experience, but I'm not willing to sacrifice everything to get there, as that would be selfish, rather than productive. Does that make sense?

Right now I have to go and make bacon sandwiches for breakfast, this is not a treat, but a necessity, as my boys used up all the milk last night making milkshakes. So it's bacon sandwiches or nothing, it is possible it was a tactic to make sure they got bacon sandwiches, we'll soon find out, depending on if they try it again. I may start keeping long life milk in the cupboard just in case, that will fool them!

No comments:

Post a Comment