Tuesday 1 November 2011

Fifteen weeks + 3

I really can't believe it's November already, Neil was looking at Christmas presents for the boys on the internet and still discussing the option of having a pool table (well how often do you need a dining table), he did say "I could always build another extension", but I'm pretty sure he was joking. I suppose I should think myself lucky that during one of my stays in hospital they didn't turn my whole house into a giant boys theme park, a pool table, an even bigger TV and a fridge stocked with beer in every room. Neil would be drooling right now if he'd heard that. As it is I think we could manage one of those folding pool tables, but he keeps looking at the proper slate bed ones like they have in pubs, it's the sign of a misspent youth I think. Any way I can't really begin to even think about Christmas as I have 3 essays, a report and a reflection (I think that's what they are all called) all to write and hand in before then so that's where my focus is going to be for the next couple of months. It will be a miracle if anybody gets any proper presents this year, if it's left up to me. There is always the internet, I do love internet shopping it takes all the travelling time out of shopping, but then of course you don't get to have lunch out so it's nowhere near as much fun as the real thing. 

I am spending my morning waiting in for men, whoo hooo, I hear you say. Well no, one of them is the Virgin engineer (yes I see the irony in that), and the other is coming to check my cavities. OK this conversation went down hill rapidly (well it did if you have a dirty mind). Our cable TV box hasn't been working for the best part of a week, and it makes you wonder just how much we use it if nobody called an engineer until yesterday (that would be me). As for the cavities, well we are getting our cavity walls insulated, why we didn't get it done before I don't know, but apparently they have to come and make sure that you have the right kind of walls, knowing me, mine are the expensive sort to fill. Well I'll let you know on that point, and also whether it had anything to do with Neil putting the cable TV cable under the floor that has broken it, as that's when it stopped working, although I'm not to mention that to the Virgin guy. It's a good job Xander won't be here as when I was telling somebody else the other day about the cable TV not working he just shouts "it's because Dad pulled the cable out of the wall" and then continued on with whatever he was doing. Yes thanks Xander, I needed that help. You do have to love kids, no you do you can't kill them, I've checked.

At least they are both back at school today, which should mean the mysterious intermittent illness that Xander gets on some mornings should be in remission today. This half term is pretty serious for Will as well as me, he has practice maths and science papers coming out of his ears, and mock exams in December, at least we can both be stressed together, not that Will seems to get stressed, he is way too chilled out about the process for my liking. He did a maths practice paper yesterday whilst listening to his MP3 player, he said he thought he did much better because of it, but that you are not allowed to take one into an exam, I made the suggestion that he could hum to himself as an alternative, well you should have seen the look he gave me. I was only trying to help. I'm an encouraging sort of Mom rather than a pushy one, which basically means I use bribery, hard cash £10 for an A and £20 for an A*, so far my moneys been pretty safe, but I can see a last minute effort by Will could cost me some real money, I don't mind what else is bribery for. 

Right I'm off to see where they've got to as they should be downstairs by now and there's no sign of either one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment