Wednesday 9 November 2011

Sixteen weeks + 4

Well another broken nights sleep, I'm guessing the essay, or rather lack of it is worrying me. It shouldn't be, I have plenty of time to write it, it's better that it's more accurately researched rather than Maxine waffle. Do I sound convinced? 

Well on a good news point after seeing the doctor yesterday, who promised to get hold of a copy of my MRI and blood test results, I came home to find a letter from my consultant. Not only was he telling me that my MRI results were fine, but wishing me well with my studies (maybe he'd heard about my lack of essay writing). So that was really good news, the actual visit to the doctor has left me a little more unsure. On the plus side, as he put it, he could rule out some of the more serious causes of my kind of problems, he meant bowel cancer, that was almost funny. Then he also said having had CT scans etc certain other conditions could also be ruled out as they'd have been picked up already as well, well I'm glad we've done the spade work for him. He is sending me for another blood test though, this time not the cancer one, but the Coeliac one. I may have mentioned that my Dad (and Neils) is a Coeliac that means he's alergic to gluten which is found in flour, it means he eats a lot of potatoes (it's far more complicated than that, but you get the gist). Anyway I was tested for it about 12 years ago, along with Neil and Will (with 2 granddads it seemed a good idea, as it can be hereditary), so we were all clear which was good. The doctor pointed out, however, that a trauma, or stress (not that I've experienced any of those lately), can activate it when it was dormant, so he'd like me to get tested again, just to rule it out. The other thing he did was to prescribe this stuff, which I thought he called fibre gel, but turned out to be Fybogel, one sachet a day for a week then two a day if that doesn't help, and back to see him in two weeks time.

Now it's a curious thing (I know this isn't a good over the breakfast kind of conversation, but it is odd) but the things they tell you to eat to make you less constipated are also the things they tell you to eat to make you more constipated - fibre. So Fybogel is a gentle way to relieve constipation, I just have a problem with that being able to help me at all, plus I'm betting they taste like cack (I know it isn't a real work but it's the one that wanted to come out), and the doctor made it sound like if they worked I could just take them forever more, well no thanks, if they work and the Coeliac test comes back negative, I'm just going to eat all-bran all day long, as oddly, I like the taste of that!Still I'm getting ahead of myself, they may taste nice, I don't know yet, there was no way I could face one before I'd had a cup of coffee (or 2).

So I really must knuckle down and put some words on the page of my essay, trouble is I've been reading Abraham Lincolns biography and it's really interesting and I keep forgetting I'm supposed to be making notes to write an essay and simply enjoying the book. Oh well I'll know too much about Lincoln and ruin the essay completely is the only real downside to that. On the plus side I've been recommending it to everyone I know as a good read, which I know isn't much of an upside. I will write something today, but I do have Uni and Malarky and Ned too, and at some point I need to go and take my blood test. I could do with a couple of extra hours in the day today, although I'm pretty sure I say that about most days.

Right I'm off for another cup of coffee, and my delicious Fybogel mmmmm, lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment