Thursday 15 September 2011

Eight weeks + 5

Well I'm impressed by my exercising abilities this morning, sit ups and 10 mins on the exercise bike, and getting up early to do it. Is this the start of new fitter me, or is it just a phase that I'll get over? History suggests it's most likely the second of the two, but I'll try and stick with it for now. When I came downstairs this morning on my slightly wobbly legs, it reminded me of when I first came home from hospital and tried to walk up the stairs, I'd lost so much strength in my legs it was like climbing a mountain. Thinking about it though,  I couldn't even sit up normally in a chair, so doing sit ups again is something I couldn't have even imagined either. Mind you they do say that time heals, so I guess they can't be wrong all of the time, though I'm not sure who "they" are, sound a bit know it all if you ask me. I have noticed that you can't stop time, and it's going much quicker with age, which doesn't seem very fair, and next week, my appointment and lectures will soon be upon me, I can cope (she says).

You will be glad to hear that my trip to Summerhill school was very successful (Cyril behaved himself), so successful that Miss Wilson asked me to go back again today. Thursday mornings are going to be my regular volunteering morning, she teaches years 7, 8 & 9 on that morning of the week so it gives me a really good variety of lessons. When I have to do extra volunteering for my module this semester I think I'd like to be in a year 10 lesson as well, I was in one yesterday and it's interesting to note the difference in both the kids and the teaching as they step up to GCSE level. I'm learning so much all the time in the lessons, not just about kids and history, but the kind of teacher that I want to be, I think doing a years worth, even if it's only one morning a week, will stand me in really good stead whether I get to do GTP, or PGCE next year. Will has also been taking the time to advise me, on what kind of teacher to be, yesterday it was a lesson on first impressions, apparently if I turn up for the first lesson in costume with weapons that's all the kids will ever remember me for. OK Will thanks for the advice, I'm now really worried about some of the teachers he's had over the years. At the moment we are hearing very positive things about school from Will, which is very encouraging, although it's mainly funny stories that his statistics teacher keeps telling, I don't mind, I think you learn more if you are enjoying yourself, I just never put statistics and funny together in a sentence before now!

Neil mentioned yesterday about going to B&Q one evening this week to look at tiles, you know that man really knows how to treat a girl. What more could I want than a trip to a DIY store, I know a trip to an electrical store to buy a tumble drier that doesn't dry clothes by setting them alight (it's oddly not an efficient way to dry them). Mind you he has a point, about not filling the utility up with things when he wants to tile and decorate it. Plus the shower may be staying in there, now I'd already mentally filled that space up with something, he really needs to make his mind up. Well I had better get on with my day, who knows where this one will end up?

No comments:

Post a Comment