Saturday 24 September 2011

Ten weeks later

Wow I can't believe it's ten weeks later, I've been writing my blog for seven weeks now (nothing wrong with my maths this morning), and everything has changed so much. I am feeling so much better, driving myself around, going to Uni, volunteering at Summerhill, it's almost as if my operations never happened. OK that last bits a bit fanciful, but you know what I mean, I'm almost back to where I was before the operations, would be a better description. It doesn't stop the underlying worrying about my cancer coming back, and I'm booked in for an MRI scan in October to check out my liver, which will help allay my fears, but it is really nice just doing all the things that a person should, without other people showing too much concern. I know it's funny when the boys don't let me do things, but in reality it's the doing all the things that make me feel more like me. The only thing I haven't got around to doing yet is riding, but I'm not physically ready for that yet, so for now the lunging Malarky to get him fit, will have to do. Although it will need to be timetabled for next week as I simply ran out of week this time.

So how has my week been? Well I could say much the same as everyone else, but when you throw in the terrible timetabling, the floor tiling, the sick/not sick son, the volunteering at the school, the American Civil War and a smattering of the German Empire, plus a horse and a dog, two boys and a husband, I don't know you tell me. I think my week is probably about as crazy as everyone else could possibly have, and I like it that way. I had fun at Summerhill yesterday, not in the lesson, although I did have fun in the lesson, it was handing in my CRB check form. They all of a sudden realised that I didn't have an up to date one, if you don't use them for 3 months they go out of date, even if they're not actually out of date, does that make sense. Anyway you have to be able to prove who you are and I don't have a modern driving licence (I should really get one of those), or an up to date passport (I really really should get one of those), so I would normally use my birth and marriage certificate to prove who I am. Easy you would think, except I had to send the originals of those off to Student Finance England, again to prove my identity, and I haven't got them back. So how do you prove you are who you say you are without any of those things, easy you take 5 things, off the list supplied, so I did including my (not really out of date) out of date CRB check from May 2009 and my student ID, a utility bill, a P60,a letter from the hospital, my NHS prescription exemption card, a set of cutlery, a cuddly toy (OK I'm kidding about the last 2), this poor woman at the school had to photocopy everything and it took quite a while to do. She asked how I got such a long date on my NHS card, I wasn't sure what to say, so I just blurted out "Cancer", like you do. She has MS and pays for her prescriptions a year at a time, so she has a similar card but with a much shorter end date. I explained a bit further about what had happened to me, as it seemed only fair, but I do still feel odd saying things about it and certainly using the word cancer, always feels unreal. She gave me the standard "well you look well", which I generally get, I think it's a good sign that I look well, more comforting for those around me, and an indicator that the cancer can't have come back as then I wouldn't look well, would I? I'm sticking with the theory!

What do I have on today, well we have visitors coming this afternoon, so I guess I should tidy up a bit. It doesn't help when I've still got half the contents of my caravan still in the office, and all the contents of my utility (not including the shower and the toilet) in my kitchen.  Still if people know that they make allowances don't they, not that I should care what people think, but I do, it's human nature. Neil did do some more of the tiling yesterday, but he still hasn't got to the bit around the toilet, I think they should make the base of toilets rectangular, it would be so much easier then to tile around them. I wonder if it's something that anyone has ever thought of before, OK they have I just checked on the internet, they do look like they are made out of LEGO though and are very expensive. So sorry Neil you are just going to have to cut a round hole in your tiles. I'm off to hang out washing now, I'm just living the dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment